Yes, I’m definitely excited about my Asus 701 (Eee)!
I was unable to use my Eee as much as I wanted this week, but I managed to write a couple of posts on it. I really like the keyboard, but there’s room for improvement with the trackpad, the display, and the webcam.
It turns out that my trackpad problems are related to updating the BIOS and that the solution (for now) is to avoid the lowest and highest sensitivity settings.
The display is fine for a $399 device but I’m looking forward to more brighness/contrast, more surface area (10″), and more resolution (1024×600) in future versions.
Here’s an update of what I’ve done so far…
- Enabled full desktop mode
- Looked into enabling Bluetooth and dialup support in Xandros Linux
- Looked into installing Windows XP
- Upgraded the memory from 512 MB to 1 GB
- Added an 8 GB SDHC card
- Looked into installing an internal USB Bluetooth module via the MDC slot
- Looked into installing an internal HSDPA modem, SIM holder and antenna via the spare mini PCIe slot
- Looked into installing an internal ExpressCard SSD via the spare mini PCIe slot