A new chapter

AllertaPebleSmartwatch06

In early 2011, after working for more than 15 years as a developer in the video game industry, I turned a successful hobby — blogging about technology — into a full time job. For the past two and a half years, I’ve been Senior Mobile Editor at Engadget, and it’s been one of the most rewarding professional experiences of my life. I’ve been working all over the world with a group of incredibly talented people — the Engadget team — in the most grueling and extreme trade show conditions (I’ve literally shed blood, sweat and tears on this job). At the same time, I’ve built wonderful new relationships and friendships with an broad array of amazing people: readers, podcast listeners, PR and marketing folks, engineers, designers, VPs and even CEOs — you all know who you are…

Today I’m starting a new chapter in my career — I’ve accepted the position of Chief Evangelist with Pebble, the incredibly successful company behind the eponymous smartwatch. It’s definitely a unique and awesome opportunity and I’m delighted to join Eric Migicovsky and his team to take Pebble to the next level. Wearables is one of today’s hottest new product categories, and while Pebble is a phenomenal platform, the industry is not standing still. To this, I only have one thing to say: challenge accepted!

Don’t fret though — I’m not completely giving up on being a journalist and pundit, or generally being known as “that opinionated shithead“. I’m going to continue writing and podcasting when time permits — I’d like to rekindle this blog, with a focus (pardon the pun) on mobile photography. You’re likely to see me making regular appearances on Leo Laporte, Jason Howell, Andy Ihnatko, Ashley Esqueda, and Steve Litchfield‘s shows — to name a few. Of course, I’m also going to continue attending trade shows, conferences and events and you’ll be able to find me there. For example, I’ve been invited to speak next month at BlogHer PRO ’13 about DIY Mobile Strategy. Feel free to drop me a line if you want me to write a piece for your publication, be on your podcast, or speak at your event.

So there you have it. Wish me luck :)

About these ads

32 Responses to A new chapter

1. Miryam. All the best. I’m watching the wearable sector closely. Chippy

2. Are you KIDDING? I need 2 hour Mobile Podcasts each week from you and Brad.

3. teknom8 says:

Really happy for you, Myriam.

Your expertise, energy & enthusiasm will be an asset to Pebble and you’d better be sure to deliver on that promise to appear on Podcasts or we will all miss you unbearably.

You don’t need luck, but Best Wishes to you for the future :-)

4. Congratulations Myriam! Hugs & good wishes on your new adventure!

5. Stefan Constantinescu says:

Congratulations! And if you ever want to get together for a podcast, do give me a call. I always look forward to listening to those epic two hour shows.

6. Good luck! Enjoy your new gig! I’m sure we’ll be in touch; we’re expanding our coverage of Wearables.

7. Marc Selwan says:

Myriam – You (and Brad) are the people who got me addicted to podcasts and podcasting. The way you think about mobile technology is amazing and you made my commutes (from Mountain View to Livermore, you might know how bad that is) fly by. I’ll miss your reviews and views on mobile tech and Engadget and Pebble is lucky to have you! I’m rocking my shiny red kickstarter version!

8. Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing you in your new role and get a demo of the next-gen product. Cheers!

9. You will be missed :(

Best of luck with the new gig :)

10. danielsussex says:

Congrats and all the best in your next chapter.

Very happy that we will see more of you on the TWIT network.

11. Great! Now will you evangelize me by sending me a pebble? I want to be evangelized! ;)

12. Klaus Hinum says:

All the best Miryam, hope to see you at a trade show!

13. So incredibly happy for you! Congratulations on the new job Myriam :)

14. Isn’t now the time that Pebble pays you that million dollars? :P

15. Paul Sutton says:

Congratulations Myriam, gonna miss your insight and rants on the Engadget mobile podcast.

16. Congrats Myriam on the new job!

Looking forward to your mobile photography insights here, will miss it on Engadget :(

17. Many congrats Myriam — sounds like a really exciting move! It’s been great getting to know you through Frequencies.

18. Congrats. You are awesome. We’ll miss you on the podcast, but look forward to your other appearances.

19. Congrats on the new gig. As a Pebble owner, I would say you made a good move.

20. Congrats! So fun to move onto new and different things!

21. Congrats on your new gig! Wish all the best of luck and new experiences on your future endeavors.

22. Jason Howell says:

You are ALWAYS welcome on All About Android. :D I’m so happy for you!! Congrats on the awesome new gig and let’s get you back on the show sometime soon so you can talk about the experience!

23. Congrats on the new role! Exciting times!

24. a canadian working for a company lead by a canadian, whodda thunkit :-) congrats! it will be a great fit! and a great gig! they are lucky to have you!
    p.s. i have a red pebble and will be emailing you API questions. Just kidding :-)

25. Myriam, wish you all the best in your future endeavors. I’ll certainly check back here from time to time to read up on your rants.

26. I will be sorry to see you go, but wish you well! I’ll certainly keep following you. The podcast certainly won’t be the same without you. I miss you already :(

27. […] Myriam off to the world of wearables over at Pebble, Brad Molen’s officially in the driver’s seat for the Engadget Mobile […]

28. balastrea says:

GratZ! You’ll be amazing as always :)

29. Good luck hun ;-) Thats said as a friend and also as a Pebble Smart watch owner !