February 12, 2009
So, after more tinkering with the Sony VAIO P, I have successfully managed to mod the Gobi radio from Qualcomm (built-in WWAN) from EDVO-only to EGDE/HSDPA!
I have documented the process with a how-to and some pictures…
February 10, 2009
I have successfully managed to downgrade the Sony VAIO P to Windows XP (from Vista). I used this guide started by this person and contributed this information :)
Most importantly, I got both the WWAN (EVDO-only for now) and GPS radios working! Next up: more modding (it’s EDGE/HSDPA time)…
April 24, 2007
How to get an EVDO discount (save $10 per month) for your OQO Model 02 in 10 easy steps :)
1) Visit the SERO website
2) Use “firstname.lastname@example.org” for the Sprint employee email address
3) Select the Pantech PX-500 data card (free device, free shipping)
4) Select the unlimited data plan (
$60 $50 per month, 2-year contract)
5) Checkout and finalize your purchase
6) Wait for “Order has shipped” email with your new phone number
7) Call Sprint technical support with your new phone number in hand
8) Change the ESN from the Pantech PX-500 to your OQO Model 02
9) Enjoy your EVDO discount on your OQO Model 02 today!
10) Sell your Pantech PX-500 on eBay tomorrow…
April 22, 2007
After looking at this picture of the OQO Model 02 internals from the FCC documents, I’ve concluded a couple of things:
1) The Novatel EV620 EVDO mini PCIe card could be replaced with a Novatel EU 870D/860D (or Sierra Wireless MC 8755/8765/8775/8780/8781) HSDPA mini PCIe card with some SIM holder hackery
2) The Toshiba MK6008GAH 60 GB 1.8″ ZIF hard disk drive could be replaced with a Sandisk SSD_UATA_5000_18 64 GB 1.8″ ZIF solid state drive
Hmmm… This could just be my next project! Since I already have HSDPA with Cingular, I’m very motivated to have this working before the end of my trial period with Sprint :)
April 19, 2007
The OQO Model 02 has landed… It has been anticipated for months, but it’s here, in my dirty little hands!
Enjoy the unboxing pictures, complete with “bento box” notes and first boot. Now I’m off dealing with Sprint for the SERO discount :)
February 7, 2007
Here’s another interesting Nokia N95 preview!
The OQO Model 02 is now also also available with Verizon EVDO.
Take a look at this video of the touch-based LG KE850 (Prada) showing the user interface…
Somehow I missed this at the time, but Google recently released a native Symbian version of both its Google Maps client and its Gmail client, as well as a native Windows Mobile version of its Google Maps client.
No, there’s no Tasty bits 1-7 :)
January 8, 2007
It’s Murphy’s law… Saturday I sold my OQO Model 01+, just in time for the start of CES. Sunday I kept an eye on my favorite gadget blogs, and all was quiet until I was away from the San Francisco bubble, away from my computer (without my old OQO)!
Yes people, the OQO Model 02 was announced while I was enjoying fried bananas at a friend’s birthday party, with no computer in sight. By the time I was able to use a computer to order my new OQO, pictures and video were already available. Oh well :)
It was well worth the wait – the Model 02 addresses many of the criticisms of the Model 01+:
– Faster processor (1.2 or 1.5 GHz VIA C7M ULV)
– Faster memory (533 MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
– Better graphics (VIA VX700)
– Better screen (6x brighter)
– Better thermal management
– Backlit keyboard
– WiFi a/b/g
– Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
– Optional: more memory (up to 1 GB)
– Optional: larger hard drive (up to 60 GB)
It also features some interesting new features:
– TouchScrollers (TM) (horizontal and vertical touch-sensitive scroll-surfaces on screen bezel)
– Zoom buttons
– HDMI output
– Optional built-in EVDO (through Sprint, unfortunately for me)
– Optional docking station (with dual-layer DVD+-RW/CD-RW or DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive)
So what’s missing, then?
– No IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
– No built-in digital pen storage
– 0.7″ wider and 0.1″ thicker (yet 0.1″ shorter)
– No optional built-in HSDPA (through Cingular)
So there you have it… I’ll be doing a full review of the OQO Model 02 as soon as I’ve got my hands on it!